There has been a licencee in the Hardman family since the mid 1950’s with Thomas Hardman running the Benvenute Social Club in Chapel St Leonards before the family built our first pub – The Benvenute Hotel on the same site (later renamed as The Neptune)
Pictures can be seen on this page of the whole Hardman family building and working in The Benvenute (That’s Bob at the top with the flat cap!)
Thomas, Bob and later Bernard Hardman were all Landlords of the Benvenute or Neptune.
After leaving the coast, Bob & the family purchased The Tyrwhitt Arms in 1981 and it has been in the family ever since with Rob taking over as landlord in the late 90s.
While the pub has been though many changes, the one constant since the late 70s is the Bar Manager Dave Brumhead who has been here for over 50 years! – is he the longest serving barman in the country? Possibly?
The earliest surviving recorded name for the licensee was Joshua Graham in 1802.The bridge was a toll bridge in the early 20th.century with the licensee collecting the toll and opening the gate. (Thanks to Peter Burnett For This)
"The pub is named after local landowners, the Tyrwhitts. The Tyrwhitt Baronetcy, of Stainfield in the County of Lincoln, was created on 29th June 1611 for Philip Tyrwhitt. The fourth Baronet represented Grimsby in the House of Commons. The fifth and sixth Baronets both sat as Members of Parliament for Lincoln. The title became extinct on the latter's death in 1760." . (Thanks to Karen Shelbourn for this)
The Tyrwhitt was originally a coaching house for Lord Tyrwhitt Drake and has been through many modifications and refurbishments since, we are still trying to find details and pictures if anyone can help us please contact email@example.com
There are picture here of various events and eras of the pub, again if anyone has any they would like to share please contact us.